September
Hours: 4 hours
On September 19, I participated in World Cleanup Day, a community service event organized by Tulane University and Loyola University New Orleans. The activity focused on cleaning areas along the riverfront, the Carrollton and Black Pearl neighborhoods. This activity is important to me because maintaining a clean environment directly contributes to the health and well-being of the surrounding community.
During this event, I work with some classmates to collect litter and remove waste from public areas. One thing that stood out to me was realizing how quickly small amounts of litter can accumulate and affect a neighborhood. Before participating, I assumed that a cleanup event would be simply picking up trash. However, the experience made me think more the connection between environmental conditions and public health. Cleaner public spaces can reduce environmental hazards while also creating a safer and more welcoming community.
This experience reminded me that improving health does not only occur through medications or clinical care. As a pharmacology student, I often think about health in terms of disease and treatment. This activity helped broaden that perspective by showing me the importance of prevention and community involvement. Reflecting on the experience reinforced the idea that becoming a healthcare professional also involves understanding and contributing to the communities we hope to serve. I also hope to find similar experiences like this for the next upcoming months and hope to volunteer at the manning children's hospital.
In the Pharmacology program, my experience so far has allowed me to grow both academically and personally. I have been exposed to new topics, challenged to think more critically, and gained a better understanding of pharmacology and biomedical science. One of the biggest things I have learned is how broad pharmacology is and how many different areas of science and medicine are connected to it. I have enjoyed the different seminars from both the faculty and guest speakers. Although the program can be challenging, I feel like I am becoming more confident with the material and developing a stronger scientific foundation. I’m looking forward to continuing the semester and the upcoming modules.
Comments
Post a Comment